Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Beer Tasting, Volume VI

Disclaimer: I don't really care for typical food and beverage reviews for a couple of reasons. One, traditional descriptors and adjectives are limiting and over-used. I don't care if a beer or wine is "complex" or if a pate of foie gras is "rich." Of-fucking-course it is. It's supposed to be! Two (and I'm guilty of falling victim to this), consumers are sheep and will believe anything that is written, or what they want to believe. It's like my Momofuku experience- the food was amazing because I wanted it to be amazing. Anyway, I'm justifying why I'm not going down those traditional paths with my reviews. I like these reviews to be different and hope to get people to think about beer in an unconventional manner. I really do come up with this shit after drinking these beers.

Beer: Half Acre Daisy Cutter Pale Ale
Consumption Method: 16 oz. draft. Yep, I left the house again.
Alkyhol Content: I'm going to guess 6.0%. This info isn't readily available and I'm too lazy to really search for it.
Label: No label, and I was served in a generic pint glass, but I really like Half Acre's corporate design, so I figured this would be a good place to link to their stuff again. Check it out HERE.
Why Did I Buy This Beer? First off, I was right across the street from where this beer is brewed, so I suspected this was probably the freshest beer I could have consumed at the time. Second, I like the name. Third, I was tipped off by a friend who was repulsed by the "bouquet" of hops on this beer. That intrigued me and sealed the deal.
Etymology: I suspect that this beer was named for the 15,000 lb. "daisy cutter" bombs used in Vietnam. The BLU-82, as they are known, were designed to instantly clear large swaths of jungle. Well, this beer is aptly named: it's a freaking hop bomb that eradicated my taste buds.
Is This Beer Any Good? Yes, but I'm biased. I love hops almost more than anything (except peanut butter and cleavage) and this beer doesn't disappoint. However, I do get the feeling that this beer is super-hoppy just for the sake of being super-hoppy. While that doesn't bother me, it would bother some, and I do think it limits the amount of these beers one could consume in a sitting. This is not a session beer. I concede victory, Daisy Cutter.
This Beer Would Pair Well With: 7L and Esoteric. Kneel when you feel the daisycutter!

More on Half Acre: http://www.halfacrebeer.com/home.php They have a cycling team!
Conclusion: RAPPAPPATOW! (Listen to the song...)

No comments:

Post a Comment