Thursday, November 11, 2010

Back, and for Good Reason.

I am going to see how long I last at writing about beer again...

The latest review:


Beer:
Firestone Walker 14th Anniversary Ale
Is This A Cool Name: Um, no. Well, I guess it's impressive that Firestone has been churning out high-quality brew for 14+ years, but I wouldn't say that the name inspires or even evokes. And that is kind of a shame, because I like their branding/naming across the rest of the line.
Style: Technically, a barrel-aged American Strong Ale. Realistically, a style that has yet to be invented. I don't have the experience or vocabulary to invent it, unfortunately.
Consumption Method: 6oz draft pour out of a mini-goblet. The glass was actually one of the cooler drinking vessels that I've used, but I would have preferred something larger...just because the beer was so delicious.
Alkyhol: 12.5% (!) I guess I didn't need more than 6oz.
Why I Bought This Beer: Mostly, it was because I showed up at Papago specifically to drink it, and another Firestone limited release (see next post). Also, it is because - in my eyes - Firestone can do little wrong in the world of beer. Their motto is "Passion for the Pale", and despite the fact that it may sound like they really like gingers, the reality is that they make damn good pale ales. Since I am an apologist for anything with an abnormal amount of hops, they do right by me. So, I try to try anything they put out. Their 14th Anniversary was too good to pass up. Essentially, they blend five different already "special" beers into one amalgamated Super Beer that is truly one of the most unique alcoholic substances ever concocted.
Is This Beer Any Good: Damn skippy it's good! But you almost can't even call it a beer. It's somewhere between a Russian Imperial Stout and a bourbon, so it's far better sipped at room temperature than consumed like a typical beer. I felt like donning a monocole and a smoking jacket and taking this beer into my study...if I had all of those things. Actually, I'd build a study (complete with lots of mahogany and leather-bound books) and buy a smoking jacket, just to drink this beer regularly. The 14th Anniversary just makes you feel high-class.
What Does This Beer Taste Like: This may be hard to explain, but try to follow me: Take a Brach's Root Beer Barrel, suck on it for like 15 seconds and spit it out. Then, grab some Tahitian vanilla bean creme brulee and take a bite or two. Immediately drink a shot of espresso and smoke a Padron. Then, take a sip of Buffalo Trace and a big deep breath and you may have 90% of what this beer is about. It's THAT good.
This Beer Would Pair Well With: An evening with nothing to do and some fantastic company. Oh, and it would pair excellently with additional bottles of 14th Anniversary.
Sudoku Difficulty Rating: ***** The most complex beer I have ever tasted.

Straight From The Source: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2210/63116

No comments:

Post a Comment